Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

I find myself being very nostalgic this morning. On my drive home last night I was thinking about my family Thanksgivings and really missing them. Some may call me crazy but I miss having 2 meals in 2 different counties on the same day. Growing up Thanksgiving was always at our house. Robin, Ron, AP, JB and sometimes Jonathan would all come down. Occasionally I also brought along a "stray" friend if they couldn't go home.


 I always got up early to help with fixing dinner: turkey, bacon steamed green beans, yams with marshmallows on top, mashed potatoes  (with no lumps for JB), stuffing, and pies (pumpkin, pecan and apple). Once the family arrived there would be TD parade and football on the TV, a few rounds of pool in the garage and good conversation. We would also celebrate my Aunts birthday with song and presents as it always falls between a few days before or after TD. After Paul and I tied the knot we hung out in SD and had Thanksgiving with my side of the family and then we would drive up to Alhambra and have Thanksgiving with Paul's side of the family. When Robin got sick and could no longer eat the family meals stopped, I miss them. Hopefully AP and JB will come down again one day to share in our Thanksgiving dinners of old.


One of the best Thanksgivings of my life was in 2005 when Paul and I were flown out to North Carolina to surprise my dad and grandparents. That weekend was amazing, most of it was spent putting together puzzles with my grandparents.


   
Last year and this (yet) I haven't really felt the spirit of the holidays. So much heartache beat me down that I just couldn't amp myself up to celebrate. I am trying to be thankful for the memories and good times from Thanksgivings past. Robin, Ron, Dad and Grandpa -- you are missed.



1 comment:

Erin said...

So sorry, they are all missed. I feel your pain as I don't have my mom cooking and hosting Thanksgiving.