Thursday, November 15, 2007

Is it that time of year already?

Once a year, there is a training I have to take at work that I hate seeing on the schedule.  Today was supposed to be that day, but luckily the trainer didn't show up so I got out of it....for now.  What training you ask?  Diversity in the Workplace!

The only way it could get good is if they decided to handle Diversity Day the Michael Scott way.

I suppose this training could be helpful to someone, somewhere, where one racial group dominates the population and there are racial issues.  But seriously....this is Los Angeles.  There is probably more of a mix of races here than anywhere else in the world.  Maybe I'm way out of the loop, but I've never heard of racial issues with staff in all my years there.  Yet this training is given more often than any other.

The first time I went to it I learned that I am a bad person.  Why?  Because not only was I born to white parents, but I had to go and be male too.  I guess I should apologize for that.  I'll never do it again, I swear!  It was kind of awkward sitting through this being one of two white males in a room of 40-50 people.  Good times.

1 comment:

Darth said...

Welcome to my Ethnic Studies Class at UCR. I stopped going cause of the guilt I felt in being white. Each class would start out normally and eventually turn into "Why Whitey Sucks" ....yeah i miss that.