Saturday, January 21, 2006

Exorcist

Friday brought me a day of fun. I was subbing for a third grade class in Orange Unified. Everything was going fine until first recess. A girl came back from speech early and said she wasn't feeling well and can she go to the nurse. It was right before recess so I believed she was really sick. She was in the nurses office for all of recess and came back about 10 min. after recess was over. She handed me the note that said she didn't have a fever and no one was at home.
Okay fine, so I said go ahead and have a seat and put your head down. She sat down and I started working with the group at the back table, After a minute I looked up and noticed that two students were standing next to her and that she was crying. She said she felt really sick. So I decided to send her back to the nurse. She came up to the front and I started writing the note. Before I put pen to paper she let loose, and threw up all over the front of the classroom. Oy! I was thinking "you win" the nurse was way wrong.
So the aide walked her to the nurse and I got the rest of the class lined up and we went out for a second recess. The class thought this was great since they got to play while we waited for the mess to be cleaned up. Good times. Remarkably this is the first time I have had a student throw up in the classroom let alone inches from my shoes.

5 comments:

Moe said...

That's Barf-tastic!

Cyn said...

The bad thing is that I am a sympathetic puker, so I had to get out of the classroom fast.

Sher said...

Oh man! That makes me happy that I've been subbing mostly Jr High.

Cate said...

I would have yaked all over the poor girl. Sorry to say, I glad it was you & not me.

Nick said...

Just wait until you have kids of your own, and the only way to comfort them when they are sick is to hold them!

Then, since they don't really register the whole getting-to-the-bathroom-early concept, you get the brunt of the "action" all down the front of you. That's fun.