Monday, July 18, 2005

Under the Sea

I finally get a vacation this year, and thanks to Cyndi's mom we will be going on a week long cruise around Hawaii to celebrate Cyndi's 25th birthday and our 4th anniversary in August. The only problem is that I'm not allowed to go unless I learn how to swim beforehand.

On Saturday I had my first lesson at the YMCA. I took lessons when I was a kid, but we never had or went to a pool so nothing really stuck with me. The only thing I remember is getting thrown off the diving board every Friday.

The class I'm in is an adult class. There are 5 of us and everyone sort of knows how to swim except me. The instructor knew that my swimming experience was zero, but somehow thought I was ready to try the backstroke and butterfly on my first day. Seeing as how I can't even tread water, it didn't go well. I did manage to avoid drowning so far so I guess that's a plus. We'll see what happens the next few Saturdays.

2 comments:

Darth said...

remember that time i jumped off the diving board and the instructor wasn't ready? haha...that was hi-larious.

if you want a crash course in swimming i would suggest, going to the beach, going really far out and then wait for a gnarly riptide...trust me you'll learn pretty darn fast. it certainly worked for me!!!

Anonymous said...

keep at it Paul - all of a sudden one day it'll all click - Your favorite MOM - In - Law :)