Monday, March 17, 2008

I'll take you to the auto shop...

I had to take my car in for repairs today. It has been smoking when I start it up for a while. I figured it was an oil leak and it was. I also had a headlight burn out this week. I couldn't get the battery out to get to the light due to a bolt that had rusted. When I messed with it yesterday I just kept setting off the alarm that I was told had been disconnected a while back. It was real fun for the neighbors when there was enough of a connection to set off the alarm, but not enough for me to start the car to turn it off (this is the part where my dad is rolling his eyes and sighing). Someday maybe I'll bother to learn how to do simple repairs myself. It came out to $270. The good news was that the mechanic said my car was looking pretty good and that there's no reason I can't get it to at least 300,000 miles. I was just hoping it would hold out until 200,000 (a year and a half at my current rate).

I told the mechanic I had to get to work. He asked if they paid me well, and I told him I'd never get rich working there. He suggested I play the lottery. I laughed and said "I'm sure that will work". Then he told me how he and his in-laws won a $36 million doller jackpot a few years ago, and how he was only working because he liked his job. Sadly, he didn't like it enough to do it for free.

1 comment:

jeric2003 said...

Well, at least you can be pretty sure that your mechanic has no real reason to overcharge you for his services!