Sunday, July 01, 2007

Letters from IRAQ

June 8, 2007
I just wanted to write a quick note to say that I'm finally headed to the sandbox (Iraq). It's been a crazy week at CRC (CONUS Replaycement Center) at Ft. Benning. It was inprocessing that could have taken 2 days, but since we did it the Army way, it took one week. I got to meet some great people and had a fun time hanging out with new friends. I'll try and send another email once I get in country. That will probably take a few days. It's going to be one loooonnngg plane ride! I promise to send pictures (but none like Abu Graihb!!!). You all stay safe and have some fun for me. luv ya!Charlene


June 13, 2007
Hello everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that I arrived in Baghdad yesterday. I will be at Camp Liberty. I don't have an address yet, but will let you know when i do. I should get my own room. The internet access is slow and problematic. So for now, instant messanger and skype isn't working. Hopefully, it will improve. The living conditions here remind me of a third world country...oh wait...that's where i am. lol. I'll send pictures of my room later.gotta go for now. i'll write more later.charlene

June 23, 2007
Hello everyone, Just another quick note to say that i'm still alive and well. =) The days are beginning to run together.Work is going well. I basically interview people and decide if I want them to work on base. It's getting pretty busy and will just get worse. Half our team is going on vacation at the beginning of July. Lucky me. Technically, we are suppose to work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. And it will be about that much with everyone on vacation.I have my own room with a queen bed. I am very happy about that. Now I just need stuff to decorate! I'm thinking of going with a tiki bar theme. Gotta have something fun and interesting around here, right? And we are one of the lucky ones because we live in reinforced hardened facilities (concrete buildings). Most people either live in tents or trailers.

My address is:
Charlene Spires
MNC-I
Team L-3
Camp Victory
APO AE 09342

If you send me anything...send it regular mail....I repeat Regular mail...don't waste your money on anything priority because it will all get here at the same time. Ask about any special rates to sending it to an APO address. It may be cheaper if you tell them it's going to a poor girl in Iraq. Oh, I know some questions were asked about the Green Zone...I should clarify that I am not in the green zone or in the IZ. That is in the center of Baghdad. My base is southwest of Baghdad by the airport. I finally started working out again. It feels great to get out and run a bit. Despite it being Iraq, the scenery isn't too bad. We are next to a lake and a river, which surround Sadaam's palaces. It's very surreal to be running by Sadaam's palaces, with a large knife strapped on your side, and mortars exploding (in the distance, that is!). Hopefully, I will figure out a way to send you all some pictures. Other than that, it's been hot and dry. I forget what clouds look like.time for me to go to bed. I'll try and update you all as things go along...Charlene

June 29, 2007
Hi everyone! Just thought I'd share the news that I have officially been promoted to Sergeant. =) Luv your new NCO,
Sgt. Spires
now drop and give me 20!

June 30, 2007
Hey all, I got to drive around a bit today. Here's some pics of the palaces. We occupy the area all around the palaces. The palaces are surrounded by water and the lakes have a ton of fish. Saddam built a life size Flintstone village for his kids, Udday and Qusay because they loved to watch the cartoon. very funny stuff. more to come,Charlene


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the Sarg making us proud?!! She has fulfilled her duty to live up to her nickname!

Oh yeah on a side note: If you bring in a print out of your hotel reciept that is prepaid for Vegas they will let you out of jury duty if you get put on a case that is for those dates. You just have to speak up when they ask if you have a conflict for the duration of the case. Can't wait to see the BGG next weekend! Love and Peace!

Cyn said...

Getting off jury duty wont be a problem. I just dont want to have to go all the way to Compton to do it. Should only be one day left. I don't have to go on Thursday.

Cyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.