Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Is being quiet such a bad thing?

Tonight I was accused of being too anti-social at work. I talk to everyone in my department, but apparently that's not good enough. My co-workers think that it's odd that many people in other departments around the campus have no idea who I am (by name) even though I've been at this location since August.

Does it really matter? Most of these people I only see in passing any way. I am friendly towards everyone...I say hi and bye and ask how they're doing. I don't avoid talking with anyone; I just have no need to force anything more. I don't plan on hanging out with any of them, I am never around any of them for more than a couple of minutes, and any time I do somehow get in the loop and hear what's going on with various people I realize more and more that I have no interest in getting involved with them.

It's hard enough for me to socialize with people I do want to be friends with. It's not in my nature to be real talkative. I've accepted who I am. Social situations are awkward for me, but it's ok. I've learned to deal with it. I'm just not going to invest that much energy with random people at work.

2 comments:

Darth said...

Tom Smykowski: Well-well look. I already told you, I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

barefootkangaroo said...

I'm with you on this one Paul. The tyranny of the extroverted. We are a misunderstood people.

Just look at the adjectives used to describe extroverted people:

Bubbly, outgoing, talkative, personable, etc..

...and then compare those with the adjectives reserved for introverted people:

anti-social, aloof, cold, private, shifty, loner, etc...

When will people learn that it's not that we don't like people or socializing. It's just that prolonged social interaction leaves me feeling drained and not energized. There is nothing wrong with me. It is how I was wired by my creator. I am rejuvenated and energized in solitide. Superman had a fortress of solitude.

Something is worng with a person who can't be alone. They lack introspection and perspective.

Die extroverts!!!!