Friday, September 01, 2006

A night with the Foo Fighters!



On Wednesday night, Brad and I got to go see the Foo Fighters acoustic show at the Pantages Theatre. This was a big turn around for me since I used to hate them and it took years for me to get into them. I wasn't sure what to expect since I haven't heard any of their acoustic album and was just hoping they'd play enough of their hits to keep me entertained.

I really liked all the newer songs they played. Usually if I don't know the song a band is playing I get bored quickly. This was definitely not the case with the Foo Fighters. Every song was great. They also did a good job of mixing the new songs, hits, and talking with the audience. Dave Grohl made it seem like he was taping an episode of VH1 Storytellers as we got commentary on about half of the songs. He talked about how he got started in music and how he came to be a part of Nirvana. He said that when he got set up with a tryout for Nirvana, he called Kurt Cobain and while talking about music, Dave mentioned hearing a horribly depressing singer from Washington the night before at a party in Hollywood. It turned out to be Kurt's then girlfriend (Courtney Love).



The show started with Dave playing "Razor" by himself. The rest of the band (along with former Foo/Nirvana/Germs guitarist Pat Smear, Wallflowers keyboardist Rami Jaffee, and violin by .thatdog's Petra Hayden) joined in at the end as Dave began to really rock out. Dave soon broke his "no Nirvana ever" rule by playing the one song he wrote for them, "Marigold". For the encore, Dave played "Friend of a Friend", "Best of You", and most of "Everlong" by himself before the band joined him for the final verse.

The Foos seemed very comfortable doing the acoustic thing and they really seemed to be having fun with the songs and the audience interactions. Hopefully they'll be willing to mix things up a bit more in the future as far as doing acoustic as well as plugged in shows.

2 comments:

Darth said...

I don't think it was Courtney Love who was his girlfriend at the time. I think Dave was talking about Tracy Marander who Kurt was with before Courtney.

Hutch said...

Hmm...I don't know. I just tried to look it up. Seems Tracy was gone by that point, but Courtney was still with Billy Corgan then.