Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving 2005 - Day 1- Updated

A couple months ago Pam contacted me and said she would like to surprise my dad and grandparents this Thanksgiving by flying Paul and I out their without them knowing about it. We had to leave at 3:30am on Wednesday the 23rd so we just did not sleep that night since I was up late packing and Paul did not get home until 12:30am. We hitched a ride on a Super Shuttle and got to the airport early. All I remember from the flight is take off and landing, I slept the rest of the time. Paul got a couple hours of sleep. We drove around downtown Charlotte for a little bit. We were hungry so we stopped off at Wendy's to get a bite before driving up to Banner Elk from Charlotte. We were introduced to a new drink called Cherriwine. It is sort of like a Cherry Dr. Pepper.

Then we headed out for our two-hour drive. Paul drove the first 40 miles or so but was so tired from lack of sleep. Since I slept on the plane, I took over. When we were about 45 minutes from my aunt and uncle's Bed and Breakfast it started snowing on us. I was excited about it; Paul thought it was a bit cold.

We finally got there around 8pm on Wednesday night. Pam met us in the parking lot and said everyone was in the sitting room. Paul and Cindy (my aunt and uncle) met us at the door and started showing us around as if we were just a couple who showed up to stay there for the weekend. When we got to the sitting room my dad and grandma were in there my grandpa was in the adjoining room working on a puzzle. It took my dad a minute to figure out what was happening. He sort of went into shock he just could not believe his eyes; he started to tear up a little bit. Then my grandpa stood up and waited his turn for a hug. It took grandma a few minutes to figure it out because she did not pay us attention when we walked in because she figured that it was just the couple that Paul and Cindy were expecting. She started crying and hugging everyone. Grandpa kept telling me but you wrote us a letter and said for us to have a good time, you did not tell us you were coming! It was really cute.

Then we got to sit down to a homemade dinner, everything from scratch. It was so good, except they seem to like to put mushrooms in things and Paul and I do not like mushrooms, we just did our best to pick them out. The rest of the night, we just chatted a little bit and we went to bed early since we had been up for over a day.

No comments: