Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Financial Aid BITES

This is a rant so be warned.

I am so angry at Biola's Financial Aid Department.
I recieved a letter saying that I had been given a little over $4000 for last semesters classes then I recieve a letter saying that I owe Biola over $5000 for last semesters classes. I go in today to see what is going on and I find out that apparently by one unit I do not meet the half time status required to get any financial aid so without explaining any of this to me that just adjust my bill and say I now owe them. I try to tell the guy that I am taking two classes right now so I will have taken ten units before the next semester starts which is well over part time. So he tells me that Biola doesn't count summer classes as part of a semester and therefore you cannot get aid for it. I am very frustrated at this point. I explain to him that Biola did not offer these classes for the last two years and I have asked numerous times when they would be offered. He says well there is nothing I can do but you can apply for a Citiassist loan, of course they will have higher interest rates but that is my only option at this point. Why does all of this matter you may ask, well Paul and I were planning on going on vacation this summer with my mom to either Hawaii or New York now we cannot go to either because we have to figure out how to scrounge together $5ooo to pay Biola back while they are charging us $126.00 in interest a month. I feel terrible because Paul didnt get a vacation last year and really needs and deserves to go somewhere and have a little fun. We would have also been celebrating my turning 25 and recieving my masters degree. In addition to all of this I cannot get my transcripts or degree out of hawk until the bill balance is zero and I cannot apply for my CLEAR credential until I have my transcripts and since I would have been applying for my CLEAR credentail and my CLAD (a state requirement to teach English Language Learners which is a must) at the same time it means I am not hirable at this point which makes getting a job near impossible. Oy. In about 20 min. this man killed my entire summer. =(

If you click on the title of this post you can read Biola's Financial Aid Philosophy... which they don't hold to apparently.

2 comments:

jeric2003 said...

Try inquiring about use of an unofficial transcript...? I don't know if those are acceptable, but they show all of the same classes and grades.

Cyn said...

they wont give you any kind of transcript. i asked. they also wont release my degree. ug.